Saturday, November 14, 2009

History and Cheesesteaks

Last weekend, my parents came for a visit from Boise. We had a great time, it was sad to see them go. On the first day they were here we did some sightseeing in Philadelphia. We saw the liberty bell, Independence Hall, and went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art

That night we decided to get a taste of true Philadelphia culture and get philly cheesesteaks at Pat's. I was a little bit nervous because we heard that they get mad at you if you use too many words when you order. You basically want to communicate three things: 1) that you want a cheesesteak, 2) what kind of cheese you want, and 3) with or without onions. Chad did the best..."American with" The cheesesteaks were amazing, we'll definitely be back.
On Saturday we drove out to Gettysburg and spent the day exploring the park. We saw the cyclorama (which I thought would be a movie where your chair would spin around a little bit) it's actually a huge old painting that goes in a circle around a whole room that shows all of the major events in the three days of the battle. We also went to little round top, the devil's den, and then went for a ranger walk on the spot where pickett's charge took place. It was great having my dad there with us, it was like having our own personal tour guide.
Gettysburg truly is "hallowed ground." It really makes you feel reverent when you think of all the men who died there and what a significant event took place on that battlefield. I think Jeremy and I might come back in July to see the reenactment of the battle. I am so glad that we are both nerdy and like those kinds of things.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah for gettysburg nerds! Renn could totally get his nerd on with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are taking it all in. I hope you don't mind me posting here, but I wanted to see if it would be okay if I used you as a reference for Reading Hospital. My wife Crystal and I are nurses who just left the Valley Forge I ward and I am again on the look out as my job has since fallen through. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it looks like you guys had fun seeing the sites! We actually have still not gone and gotten "real" cheesesteaks yet, and we've been here a year! I guess we need to add that to the list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! LOVE IT! :) Looks like you had lots of fun! So glad your family was there, Melo! :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete